Sunday, April 7, 2019

Memories of Vanilla #19 - Traversing Tanaris

Hey dudes. Silvite Soltis back again for the next installment of Memories of Vanilla.

Tanaris Map
Last time, I took a break from Silvite to talk a bit about my warrior, Aoyamamotoko. And while it was fun to reminisce about her for a bit, I'd like to continue with Silvite's journey a little bit for now. We've spent a long time in the jungle and the dungeons of Scarlet Monastery, so since I've finally caught up to getting my mount and whatnot, today we're going to head over to the desert wasteland of Tanaris.

Before that though, remember to follow this blog for more updates as they come out, as well as subscribe to my YouTube channel for more classic content. I really appreciate all the support so far, and look forward to making even more once classic is finally out.

But for now, let's get on with the story...


-------------------------------------------

Handsome Devil, Ain't He?


Silvite was around level 42 or 43 by this point, though honestly I don't remember exactly. I know that around this time, I was spending a lot of time on my warrior though, so it was probably a while after getting my mount. Leika had told me that once I had a mount, the best place to level was the neutral zone of Tanaris - again another zone with a goblin hub. I was starting to get sick of those little green dudes, but I couldn't tell him that - he loved the goblins.





Anyway, following his advice, I took the boat over to Theramore and made the long trek through Dustwallow Marsh, down through the Barrens, and all the way through the winding valley of Thousand Needles. Remember, this was well before the Cataclysm ruined the zone, so I was able to enjoy the journey rather well on my shiny new mount.

Gadgetzan


As I passed through the Shimmering Flats, Leika pointed out a small pass in the mountains - the entrance to the desert. Running up the path, I was greeted with the sight of the goblin town of Gadgetzan - as well as several flagged Horde players standing just outside the entrance. Luckily I was on a PVE server, so I was able to simply run into the town, ignoring their /chickens and other taunts as I did so.







By this point, I could tell that I was sold on this zone for one reason alone - there were so many quests! As I ran around the small town, I saw exclamation mark after exclamation mark - all quests I could pick up and immediately begin doing to continue my leveling journey! I set my hearthstone at the local inn, grabbed the flight point from the NPC outside the southern side of town, and began my next adventure.



Gadgetzan Water Survey (Destination)



If I'm not mistaken, the first quest I did was the one where you ran off to the west of town to check some water pool in the troll area near Zul'Farrak. Not really knowing what I was doing, I ran around the area like an idiot for a while before figuring out what to do. However, immediately upon completing the task, I was jumped by a couple of scarabs or something and killed. What a great way to start the zone...








Wastewander Assassin
Anyway though, the quests I remember most clearly from my adventures throughout Tanaris were the ones with the Wastewander Bandits, as well as the several named ones. For some reason, I really wanted to farm Gadgetzan reputation while I was here, so collecting the water pouches for the repeatable turn-in became kind of a side-quest in and of itself for me. So for a few days, at least, I headed out of town and began killing bandit after bandit to turn in water pouches - even though the reputation was really not all that necessary. Eventually Leika told me that it was basically a pointless endeavor and that I'd get more reputation if and when I leveled in Winterspring, so I stopped. But for a while there, I had a blast slaughtering dudes out in the desert. And...getting ganked by the stealthed rogue mobs...



--------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed this short story of my memories of original Tanaris. I know this particular installment is a bit less narrative than my other installments. I think that stems from a general trend around this time of my adventure of me playing more with the goal of leveling faster to 60 rather than grouping with others or trying to achieve a big goal that I was close to reaching. Yeah, I know that killing bandits for reputation in the desert is anything BUT fast, but hey - I was still as noobtastic as ever.

Either way though, that's it for this installment. If you enjoyed this story, remember to follow my blog for updates in the future. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter, and check out my YouTube channel. We're over 100 subscribers there now, which I feel is an incredible feat and I really appreciate all of the support. Thank you to everyone who's helped to make that possible!

But anyway, that's all I've got for today. Check back again soon for more, but for now...

Take it easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment