Saturday, June 15, 2019

Memories of Vanilla #29 - 60 Goals

Dreadmist Raiment
Hey dudes. Silvite Soltis back today with another Memories of Vanilla post for you!

Last time, I told the story of how I FINALLY hit level 60 in World of Warcraft - grinding zombies and cultists over in the Eastern Plaguelands. And while that was a big milestone for me, it really left me with one burning question:

Now what?

So join me, as I recount the story of how I decided on a goal for my freshly capped shadow priest, as well as some of the adventures that happened as I tried to achieve it! If you like this story, remember to follow my blog for more by adding yourself to my email list below. And, of course, check out my videos over on YouTube, as I put all of this content in a more engaging style over there as well.

But without further ado, let's get right into the story!

---------------------

I hit level 60 in the early summer of 2006, basically a full year after I'd started playing the game. However, I quickly noticed that I had no idea what to do. Leika had told me of the dungeons and raids - of Stratholme and Molten Core in particular - so I figured that it would probably be a good idea to run those.
Stratholme

And so, shortly after hitting level 60, I began running the only max-level dungeons I really knew about - Stratholme, Scholomance, and UBRS. Finding groups was pretty easy since everyone always wanted a priest - especially in the dungeons with lots of undead (shackle is OP), but other than "get blues" I didn't really have a goal.

One day, however, this all changed. I don't remember exactly where it was or what I was doing, but I came across a warlock fully decked out in the full tier 0 set - the Dreadmist Raiment. Instantly, I was hooked and convinced myself that I HAD to have it as well. After all, it just looked so...shadow-priesty!
Jandice Barov

So, I chatted with Leika, did some Thottbot searches, and began my long scavenger hunt-like adventure. Along the way, I picked up some great items, like the Starfire Tiara from UBRS and some pieces of the Devout set - you know, the set I SHOULD have been aiming for - but progress was slow.

Eventually, I managed to get a few pieces of the set - gloves, belt, boots, and helm. But I distinctly remember one item constantly eluding me - the shoulders. I must have run Scholomance to farm Jandice Barov at least a dozen times, but each time the shoulders remained out of reach. I was about to give up - after all, the summer was quickly coming to an end and I would be leaving for my year abroad soon, but one day I got a call from Leika saying he was setting up a Scholo group and they needed a healer. I sighed, but agreed to come heal as soon as I got home (I was out at the store with my mom at the time). About 20 minutes later, I was seated at my computer with Silvite in flight up to the Western Plaguelands.

The dungeon was pretty easy to be honest. Since the game had already been out for a while, most of us were pretty well geared (especially Leika), so it didn't take long for us to make it down to Jandice. Our onslaught began, and quickly she fell to our combined might. And there, sparkling on her corpse, I found them - the Dreadmist Mantle.

Needless to say, I got my shoulders...

Dreadmist Mantle


---------------------

I hope you enjoyed this short story of my initial goals as a level 60 shadow priest back in the day. Really, I think it's because I had no idea what I was doing that I ended up trying for a completely random set, but it gave my experience that much more meaning. Sure, I wouldn't be able to upgrade them, but to me, it was all about looking badass. And though I never completed the set back in the day (missed out on the robes), it was still a great adventure trying to.

Anyway, that's it for today. If you enjoyed this story and would like to see more in the future, remember to follow my blog by adding yourself to my mailing list below. Also, consider checking out my video content over on YouTube. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for updates when more content is released, and consider supporting me on Patreon if you'd like some additional perks! There's still quite a bit coming, but until next time...

Take it easy!



No comments:

Post a Comment