Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Memories of Vanilla #26 - Ao's Staff

Hey dudes. Silvite Soltis here with another fun story for you!

Warrior Time!
After talking about Silvite's grande adventures in high-level dungeons and zones for the past few installments, I thought it might be time to revisit my alt, Aoyamamotoko, back in Westfall for a bit. After all, vanilla was a time of learning in many different ways and I can definitely say that I learned a lot from leveling a warrior. It's an interesting class with a lot of different skills and intricacies involved, and I'm really happy that it was my first real alt because of this.

Anyway, sit back, relax and enjoy as I tell the story of Aoyamamotoko and her bo staff.


---------------------------------------------------------

What I Thought Warriors Looked Like...

I have no idea when this story takes place in the timeline of vanilla, but I do know that at this time, Ao was traversing the plains of Westfall. I'd just finished some quests around one of the farms in the zone and was heading over to Sentinel Hill. I'm not sure why, but I had made it my mission to kill any living thing along the way - probably to try and collect Goretusk livers or something. But on the corpse of one fallen foe, I found a green item - a staff.

Donatello
Now, my image of warriors was that they were badass metal-wearing sons-of-bitches who ran up to enemies with swords flailing about. However, noticing this staff had some strength on it, I decided "eh, what the hell" and equipped it to see how it looked. Immediately I was hooked.

My New Best Friend (for about 5 levels)
See, this staff was super basic - essentially just a stick with some wrapping around the middle. But it reminded me of my favorite Ninja Turtle from my childhood - Donatello. When I considered this alongside the fact that my previous weapon was some white quality quest reward from Elwynn Forest, I knew I wasn't going back. This was my new weapon for a while.

And so, my purple warrior with blue-green hair set off across the plains of Westfall with her new bo staff - smacking to death any enemies that dared to cross her path. Of course, using a staff as a warrior wasn't without its challenges though. In the beginning, I had no weapon skill, and subsequently died to about 3 mobs before I could finally reliably hit them. Still, it was good times. 

More than once, I noticed a /lol from random players as I 'donked' mobs across the face with my wooden ally, but being the carefree noob that I was, I shrugged it off. After all, I'm sure I was making lots of mistakes other than using a staff, right?


--------------------------------------------------


Anyway that's pretty much it for my story of my bo staff. Looking back now, it's not so much of a story, as it is a fun little memory of my noobishness in early WoW. To be fair, I have learned now that using a staff with higher damage IS actually the correct choice for a warrior, but considering my reasons for doing it back in the day, I think I was just lucky.

But that's it for today. I hope you enjoyed this super-short anecdote of my warrior alt's bo staff adventures. I did eventually replace it when I was chain-boosted through the Deadmines in an attempt to collect twin Cruel Barbs, but that's a story for another time. If you enjoyed this story, remember to follow my blog by adding your email to my mailing list below. Also, leave a comment telling of your nooby stories of early leveling in vanilla or beyond. I look forward to reading them. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for updates as well, and check out my videos over on YouTube for more content. I'm sure you enjoy that as well.

But for now guys, take it easy!





No comments:

Post a Comment