Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Memories of Vanilla #5 - Stitches Brings Stitches

Hey dudes! Welcome back to "Memories of Vanilla," my reflective series about my adventures during original classic WoW.

Last time, I told the story of my first crack at a dungeon, The Deadmines, which went about as well as you'd expect for a noob. Well, as I said before, I'd eventually get that dungeon finished and move on with my adventure, though it wasn't for a few levels.

Today, I'd like to fast forward a little bit, the reason being that I don't really remember much of my first adventures in Redridge all that well (other than dying to that pack of 3 orcs hiding behind the tree and killing some condors at some point). So yes, as a human priest with little knowledge of what to do other than see what's nearby, the next step of my adventure was indeed Duskwood.

Pygmy Venomweb Spider
I remember first entering the zone by accident back when I was around level 7 or 8 by crossing the river in Elwynn Forest, then immediately being chased down by some giant spiders. The darkness of the zone
intrigued me, as it was definitely daylight back on the other side of the river, but here it was clearly night. I asked my friend about it at the time, but he said that I'd learn about it if I read the quests when I got there.

I returned to the zone once more when Magistrate Solomon of Lakeshire tasked me with visiting a town called Darkshire to ask for aid, at which point I headed down the path to enter the creepy zone. That was before I tried my hand at The Deadmines, if I remember correctly, so I must have been around level 15 at the time. I picked up the flight path and completed the quest, but being so low, there wasn't much else to do here yet.

However, after finally completing the Defias questline that had so long taunted me from my quest log, I returned to Darkshire once more. Now that I was around level 20 or so, I could actually pick up some of the quests in the town, so I got all the ones I could and made my way out onto the road. As I went, I noticed some black wolves, almost like shadows, prowling around the sides of the road. Unsure of where to go, I again asked my friend for advice, but he seemingly ignored me. Later, I found out that he'd just wanted me to get lost in the darkness. Jerk.
Darkshire

Anyway, as I stood still in the road, looking at my quest log and trying to figure out where to go from here, I noticed a shape down the road - a large, round shape of some sort of monster. "What's that?" I asked myself, moving the cursor over the being and clicking on it:
Stitches, Gift from the Embalmer

Stitches
Level ?? (Elite)

I wasn't sure what a level ?? was (though I must have seen it by this point, having died exploring several times at this point), but I knew it couldn't be good news. As fast as I could, I keyboard turned and began to run the other way, but it was too late. In my initial curiosity, I'd spent too much time and he'd gotten close enough to my squishy priest to notice me. In two hits, I was dead on the ground.

I ran back to my body, getting lost along the way somehow (though I don't remember how, I clearly remember it happening). When I arrived, I carefully looked around to make sure the beast known as Stitches was gone, then rezzed on top of my corpse.

After that, I knew to be wary in this zone. For if you're not careful, you'll be left in literal stitches...by Stitches.

I hope you enjoyed this brief memory of my first proper Duskwood experience. Next time, I'll talk about my new PC and continue the leveling journey with Duskwood and a long hike north. If you enjoyed this post, or found yourself nodding along as you read, leave a comment letting me know what you thought! Follow me on Facebook and/or Twitter (facebook.com/silvitesoltis and twitter.com/silvitesoltis respectively) or visit my YouTube channel here for updates and additional content.

Until next time, take it easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment